Scotland.com Discussion Forum > Politics

For an independent Scotland

SirWohld

It is the time to talk about Scotlands Independence.
I want to create a peoples movement, that is willing and strong enough to to lead our country into Independence before the Millenium changes.
Only if we all stay together in our wish to take care of our politics by ourselves we can be able to achieve what we are waiting for such a long time, our Independence and our Freedom.
I want to ask everyone who has the same opinion as I have to send me a mail.
My dream is to declare Independence of our country on New Years Eve on top of Edinburgh castle.
On the road to Edinburgh, I plan to hold meetings in all the major cities and at all the historic sites, but I need support from all of you and I need a team to organize the "March of Freedom".
When the conceptional work is done we will raise our banner in Glenfinnan and then we will march through the country peacefully until we reach Edinburugh on New Years Eve.
Time is now and we have the greatest chance in history to finally get our Freedom. We can only reach it when we, the people of Scotland, show it on the streets that we all want our Independence.
This is the start of the campaign, the idea is born, the fire is ignited. Now it is your turn to catch the flame, to fill the idea with life, to bring the message to the people.
I hope I will be able to see my dream come true at the end of this Millenium.
My heart beats for Scotland and I hope I get your support.
Scotland forever!

lothar.wohld@scotland.com

[This message has been edited by SirWohld (edited 16 July 1999).]

15th July 1999 14:40 IP: Logged

Don

How I wish I could be in Scotland with you as the men and women of that blessed country march to the castle as natives of a FREE Scotland. My family moved to America from Scotland and I long for its green embrace.
I know I may sound a bit corny but I do love my country. Whatever I can do to help just let me know

16th July 1999 04:22 IP: Logged

FraserClan

SirWohld, you have many supporters in America. If the people of Scotland want independence, then they should have it!!

Our prayers are with you, Scotland. God be with you!!!

16th July 1999 05:27 IP: Logged

Neil_Caple

Grow up! Do you seriously expect to win independence by declaring it from Edinburgh Castle when the SNP have been working towards that aim for half a century and it has still not come to pass? And why start at Glenfinnan? The Jacobites were not interested in an independent Scotland so much as a Stuart Britain. Why not start at the Bannockburn battle site? If you or any other readers are SERIOUS about independence, join the SNP, send money and GET ACTIVE. Empty gestures get us nowhere and when no-one turns up for your freedom march you'll hand another gift to the unionists.

29th July 1999 08:16 IP: Logged

theshepherd

I Would have to agree with the level-headed lad. As much as I'd love to see Scotland free, I don't think your march will really accomplish all that much in the grand scheme of things. Unfortunately these are the times where negotiation and talk seem to be the only way to resolve these issues. It may take many centuries to come or it may be around the corner, but what you do today will ultimatly make things better or worse for the future children of Scotland. More people supporting the SNP and getting active will help a lot more that marches. I would hate to see Scotland turn into another Ireland.

1st August 1999 076 IP: Logged

scottmcmanus

I want an independent Scotland more than anything! Independent from the UK and Europe. However, ALL the current pollitical parties could not run a bath! We need to root out this old way which has a firm grip on Scotland and start over again with a new, independent party who have Scotland's interests and Scotland's PEOPLES interests at heart, not theirs! To live in a classless republic, you need a classless, republican government! Much as it irritates me to say this, the SNP are NOT that party! Scotland will only prosper if WE, the PEOPLE make it! This is the dawn of a new century and a new millenium! Lets remember our past, but rid our laws, and other areas of the runnning of Scotland, of the insignificant and extremely historical ties which hold us back! We can survive on our own, what gives England the right to stop us?

Scott McManus, 17

P.S. Please also remember, Glasgow is not the capital, but Glasgow and West Central Scotland is where the majority of our money and votes come from.

9th August 1999 21:14 IP: Logged

scotty1163

Your right Glasgow is not the capital and never will be and what makes you think that most of the money comes from there?

10th August 1999 20:03 IP: Logged

scotty1163

So sirwhold tell us where your from

10th August 1999 20:05 IP: Logged

drummossie_moor

Er......like what does the comment "If the people of Scotland want independence, they should have it" mean? That could only come from America......somehow they think that countries such as Scotland and Northern Ireland are part of the UK against their will. Lets get it clear, if either of the majority of those countries wanted independence, then they would have had. They don't, so they're not!

15th August 1999 00:24 IP: Logged

FraserClan

drummossie_moor, the statement is not implicit in definition, but explicit. The same could be said for the people of Texas, or Quebec, or any state, country or group of people who desire to be governed by their own and not others, and who desire that their taxes stay local rather than going to some distant central government.

Just because Scotland is not independent does not mean that the majority of the people do not desire autonomy. The American South is a great example of states desiring independence and it not being granted. The very fact that there is a significant political party calling for Scottish independence indicates to me and others that there is a real desire, at least among some in Scotland, that she truly be independent. My statement was not wrong, nor was it presumptuous. If the people of Scotland, or of Texas desire independence, then they should, by God, have it!

22nd August 1999 19:15 IP: Logged

dougie_l
Native

There is a democratic method available to the Scottish population to allow the majority to vote for a political party which campaigns for independence. For over 30 years they have consistently failed to back the Scottish National Party in the numbers required to make this 'dream' a reality. The majority don't want independence and that is why Scotland is still part of the UK.

22nd August 1999 21:00 IP: Logged

mackenzie

The main reason being is that previous forms of voting have not been representative of the people of scotland. Most other european countries use some form or other of PR which i think you'll find would have make dramatic differences to the past general elections. In addition i might like to add that although you feel that the majority of people in scotland do not or have not wanted independence, previous winning parties have not been voted in by the majority of the electorate. First past the post means most votes wins....even though second place could have 2 votes less and in the end it turns out that more people (thats the majority) didnt want this party than did!!!

Now how on earth can we reach any sort of reality with a past like that. now as we are moving forward...perhaps the beliefs of the scottish people shall really be voiced, After all since the last election its perfectly clear that the scots have not been listened to for the past 30 years.

30th August 1999 216 IP: Logged

dougie_l
Native

In previous general elections the SNP have never received more than 25% of the vote (give or take a percentage point). With an average turnout of between 60 and 70 % of the electorate (and I'm being generous there) please explain what the majority of the Scottish people are voting /not voting for.

30th August 1999 223 IP: Logged

SandyO
Native

EXCUSE ME !!!! The American South and ....
especially TEXAS does not want to be independent of the United States of America.
Good grief..where did you get such an idea.
We Texans are perfectly satisfied to be a part of such a great nation.

Texas governor, George Bush,Jr. will be running for president on the Republican Party
ticket (I'm a democrat...so no, he'll not be getting my vote...even though I'm a Texan)

But please...never think Texas doesn't want to be part of the U.S. We never agree, you know. Politically speaking...Americans argue, fight, have scandals and scream at each other...but all we have to do is call our congressional representatives to tell them what to do. If they don't, we "try" to vote them out. (It is my personal opinion that all politicians are crooks...or that they quickly change into one once they get elected). So far, this system has half-assed worked for us.

Is there a perfect government on Earth?

It is my fervent wish that Scotland wins it's
independence. Good Luck to all of you.

1st September 1999 01:25 IP: Logged

orinocoflow
Native

Differences aside, if scotland wants freedom then the people as a whole need to stand up. Political parties serve no other purpose than to divide. Democrat vs. Republican..and so forth. A man should be a man. Man vs. Man. There should be no title. Titles are a bit frock and pompous. I can't hope for perfection, but England is a ****.

England doesn't mind not sticking its nose into helping others other than theirselves sometimes. England should let go Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. They aren't accomplishing that much up there.

Maybe I am wrong, but I am sick of hearing each time we think the N. Irelanders have peace they don't. It hurts to see to see so little taken to help that nation.

[This message has been edited by orinocoflow (edited 01 September 1999).]

http://www.scotland.com/forums/showt...3?threadid=244

+ in generale: http://www.scotland.com/forums/