http://www.yidalinian.org/english/

A strong friendship with China is deeply rooted in the tradition and history of Italy. Our two countries share an affinity that has been passed on from generation to generation and is still growing stronger.
This long-standing relationship is nourished by the dynamism of our economic, commercial and cultural exchanges, scientific cooperation and by increasing numbers of tourists. During my last state visit to China in December 2004, I personally witnessed the growing willingness for cooperation, the interest in deepening bilateral relations, and the sheer scope of opportunities for people and companies from both countries.
The Year of Italy in China 2006, officially announced during my State visit, aims to strengthen the Italian presence in this growing country, and present to the Chinese public an overview of the Italian past and present.
Cherishing the memories of the past, and keeping the cultural roots of a nation alive are the keys for successfully facing the future. For this reason, The Year of Italy in China 2006 will be opened and closed by two prestigious exhibitions respectively dedicated to the Renaissance and Pompeii. Italy will be represented in a variety of aspects, from the traditional to the contemporary: the arts, cutting-edge technologies, scientific achievements, cuisine, and fashion.
Today, Italy looks at the Asia Pacific region with renewed attention, fully aware of the exceptional vitality in the economic, scientific and cultural fields in this part of the world.
The rise of China coincides with the process of globalization, the exchange of goods and movement of capital and people; all of this is causing a profound change in the world's economic and politic geography....

Carlo Azeglio Ciampi
President of the Italian Republic