Zidane blamed Materazzi comment

The moment Zidane headbutted Materazzi to the ground

Zinedine Zidane's agent says the France captain headbutted Marco Materazzi in Sunday's World Cup final because the Italian made a "very serious" comment.

Zidane appeared to react to something that was said and was dismissed for his violent charge into his opponent.

"He told me Materazzi said something very serious to him but he wouldn't tell me what," agent Alain Migliaccio told BBC Five Live Sport.

Sources in France say it is believed Materazzi insulted Zidane's mother.

Migliaccio, who spoke to Zidane at 2am on Monday, added that Zidane did not elaborate on what Materazzi said.

"I don't know. Zinedine didn't want to talk about it but it will all come out in the next week," he said.

"He is a man who normally lets things wash over him but on Sunday night something exploded inside him.

"He was very disappointed and sad. He didn't want it to end this way."
WORLD CUP BLOG
Those of us who dismissed Materazzi while he was at Everton could only watch in bemusement as this maverick, short-tempered talent made a massive contribution to Italy's win
Our blogger Phil in Berlin
More on our World Cup blog

Meanwhile, France defender William Gallas also believes Zidane was provoked into the headbutt.

"I didn't see it but sometimes football is not only with the ball," the Chelsea star told BBC Sport.

"Sometimes when you have a player who is very clever and says something to you then maybe you are angry and want to 'kill' that player.

"Maybe, and I say maybe, he has made a mistake."

Materazzi refused to answer questions afterwards and Gallas saw that as an admission of guilt by the Italian.

"I don't know what he said. You'll have to ask him but he's gone. I know why he's gone because maybe he's done something wrong."

On his way back to the dressing room after his 110th-minute dismissal, Zidane passed the World Cup trophy.

It brought a sad end to his glittering career and his misery was compounded when France went on to lose 5-3 on penalties.

"Zidane didn't say anything," said Gallas. "He was very disappointed for everybody - for the team and himself.
606 VIEW
Whatever was said to Zidane, he should have known not to react like that
SCM
606: Have your say

"I'm very sad for him. It was his last World Cup and everybody wanted to win for him.

"We deserved to win but that is life. I think we played very well and better than Italy but sometimes football is very strange.

"Everybody is disappointed. I hope we will maybe win next time."

French midfielder Patrick Vieira was forced to leave the field because of injury during the second half.

The former Arsenal star said: "We are very frustrated because you work so hard to get to the final and then lose the way we did on penalties.

"That makes it more difficult but that's the way it is and we just have to live with it."

On the Zidane incident, he added: "I don't want to talk about it."

The father of Marco Materazzi believed his son was the real victim in the incident.

"I spoke to my son briefly after the game," said Giuseppe Materazzi.

"Marco had told me he had been provoked. It's as though they have something against him each time.

"In the past two years, Marco has only been on the receiving end and the injuries he has sustained are proof of this.

"I don't want to be controversial, but there are things that have to be said instead of just pointing the finger and putting a black mark against someone."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ce/5164094.stm