New smoking policy
British Airways is to introduce a revised smoking at work policy to comply with new UK smoking ban legislationThe legislation bans smoking in all public indoor spaces and is being introduced to protect people from the harmful effects of passive smoking.

The company’s existing EG304 policy already prohibits smoking by staff in uniform or work wear when in view of the public.

Under the revised policy - which will come into effect on July 1 - BA will also prohibit smoking by staff, contractors and visitors indoors, airside, in enclosed workplaces, inside aircraft and in company vehicles.

What is the new legislation?
The new legislation is a Government Health Bill and bans smoking in all public indoor spaces including cafes, restaurants, pubs, nightclubs and places of work.

When does the new legislation come into effect?
Smoking will be banned in all public indoor spaces from July 1, 2007. The ban became effective in Wales on April 2, and in Northern Ireland on April 30 and follows similar moves in Southern Ireland in 2004 and Scotland in 2006.

Why is the government introducing this new legislation?
The new law is being introduced to protect people from the harmful effects of second hand tobacco smoke (passive smoking).

What exactly is prohibited at BA?
Employees, contractors and visitors must not smoke:
  • Indoors, airside, or in any enclosed workplace (including aircraft cabin areas and crew transport) or in any company vehicles
  • Where a management or job allocated car is provided for the sole use of an individual the individual may smoke – however they must not smoke when carrying passengers during the course of their business
  • On BA premises where no smoking signs are displayed
  • In all places where statutory or local airport regulations prohibit smoking
  • In uniform or work wear whilst in public places or public parts of British Airways premises
Who can I talk to?
Further information and advice will be available through the BA Intranet and company communications over the coming weeks. Employees who have difficulty complying with this revised policy when implemented should seek advice from their line manager.

What assistance is available to me should I wish to give up smoking?
Work is underway with Primary Health Care Trusts to promote the NHS smoking cessation services in your local areas - many of which are free. Employees wishing to give up smoking through attending any cessation service will have to do this in their own time. To find out more about support available contact;

WhoPhone/TextWebsite/emailLocal NHS
stop smoking servicesTo find your local service:
Call: 0800 169 0 169 (open daily 0700-2300)
Text: 'GIVE UP' and your full postcode to 88088 or ask your local GP practice, pharmacy or hospitalwww.gosmokefree.co.uk
www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk
links open in a new windowQUIT
Independent CharityCall: 0800 00 22 00 (open daily 0900-2100)stopsmoking.quit.org.uk
launches new memo in new window
Is the smoking of pipes included in the legislation?
The new law applies to anything that can be smoked. This includes cigarettes, pipes (including water pipes such as shisha, hookah and hubble-bubble pipes), cigars and herbal cigarettes.

Why is there so much concern about passive smoking?
Secondhand smoke is proven to be dangerous to peoples health. It contains over 4,000 chemicals. Over 50 are known to cause cancer. Around 85% of secondhand smoke is actually invisible and odourless.

If my job involves me working from home on occasions, am I allowed to smoke on these occasions?
Any part of a private dwelling used solely for work purposes will be required to be smokefree if:
  • It is used by more than one person who does not live at the dwelling
  • Members of the public attend to deliver or to receive goods and/or services
I occasionally use my private car for company business, will it need to be smokefree?
No, vehicles used primarily for private purposes will not need to be smokefree.

The following Government document* contains everything you need to know about the new smoke free laws.
*opens in a new window (large document contains 26 pages/2mb)