Likes dati
     Like avuti
    Mentioned
    1287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Inserzioni Blog

Predefinito Rif: Barack Obama: Organizing for America

Grazie BHO, non mi aumenterai le tasse........

N.

email non funzionante
     Likes dati
     Like avuti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

President Obama Welcomes "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Vote
    By Mary Hough - Dec 18, 2010 2:48:26 PM ET
    Comments | Mail to a Friend | Report to Admin

President Obama has welcomed this morning’s historic vote by the Senate to move forward with the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell". In a statement he said:

Today, the Senate has taken an historic step toward ending a policy that undermines our national security while violating the very ideals that our brave men and women in uniform risk their lives to defend. By ending “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” no longer will our nation be denied the service of thousands of patriotic Americans forced to leave the military, despite years of exemplary performance, because they happen to be gay. And no longer will many thousands more be asked to live a lie in order to serve the country they love.

As Commander-in-Chief, I am also absolutely convinced that making this change will only underscore the professionalism of our troops as the best led and best trained fighting force the world has ever known. And I join the Secretary of Defense and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, as well as the overwhelming majority of service members asked by the Pentagon, in knowing that we can responsibly transition to a new policy while ensuring our military strength and readiness.

I want to thank Majority Leader Reid, Senators Lieberman and Collins and the countless others who have worked so hard to get this done. It is time to close this chapter in our history. It is time to recognize that sacrifice, valor and integrity are no more defined by sexual orientation than they are by race or gender, religion or creed. It is time to allow gay and lesbian Americans to serve their country openly. I urge the Senate to send this bill to my desk so that I can sign it into law.

email non funzionante
     Likes dati
     Like avuti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reactions to "Don't Ask, Don't Tell": 'The time for change was long overdue'
    By Mary Hough - Dec 21, 2010 12:194 PM ET
    Comments | Mail to a Friend | Report to Admin

Saturday’s Senate vote to repeal “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” was welcomed across the country.

An op-ed in the Aurora Sentinel described the change as long overdue:

“Despite the distortions, predictions and misinformation by critics, an overwhelming number of Americans, rank-and-file members of the military, Pentagon leaders and members of Congress wanted to ratify the respect, dignity and constitutional rights homosexual Americans deserve. The time for such a change is as long overdue as was the Civil Rights Act.”

The Dallas Morning News congratulated President Obama and Congress on the steps they had taken to make sure the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” happened:

“The Senate made a wise and carefully considered decision Saturday to repeal the policy that forced gays in the military to keep this secret. This was not a hasty move by a lame-duck Congress or a top-down edict imposed on our troops.

Rather, the end of "don't ask, don't tell" comes after years of discussion and debate, and the vote reflects our changing culture. A Pentagon review found that the change poses a low risk of disruption, and most service members surveyed expect the repeal to have little or no effect on their units.”

The LA Times spoke to former military personnel who spoke of their delight at the vote, including:

“Zoe Dunning, a retired U.S. Navy commander who continued to serve after declaring she was gay, cried and hugged other supporters.

"I'm living proof that the mere presence of an openly gay person in your unit does not harm either cohesion or morale," she said. "After 18 years working on this, I witnessed the end to this destructive policy, and these are tears of joy... I'm so happy to be present for this day that I'd always dreamed of."

You can add your thanks to the members of Congress who made repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” happen here.

Pagina 3 di 3 PrimaPrima ... 23